Saturday, December 27, 2008

for memories sake

i copied these from my sweet sisters blog…because…well i feel the same way about these things, she is a better writer and i hope one day to publish this blog into a book of memories…so here is megs perfect explanations of what made christmas so great for us as kids

scan0061

My first Christmas

"Ms. Hannigan...you know I'd go absolutely weak in the knees over a man like you!"
Calling all Annie fans!
Memory #7 links up to the memory where Bri and I would lie under the Christmas tree to marvel at the lights. Oftentimes, instead of Andy Williams, we put on our Annie record. I'd be Mr. Warbucks, and she would be Ms. Hannigan (or another character from the show), and we would spend hours dancing around the tree re-enacting scenes from the movie, "Annie." We always had scenes where we would be bad, and have to sneak away from the ophanage though the closet celiling, and then of course, we'd be caught! Our punishment was being forced to eat porridge (chocolate ice cream we stirred until it melted)and we would look at each other like it was a death wish while we slurped up our delicious punishment.
We played this particular game many Christmases in a row. My mom never cared, and probably thought it was funny her two girls were full of such imagination. The only year it was a big deal was the year our tree was put in the living room instead of the family room. My mom hated footprints on her newly vaccumed carpet, and the thought of us trapesing around her floor drove her to put the tree back where it "belonged" in the family room.
"You'll stay up, 'till this dump shines like the top of the Chrystler Building!"

scan0023

that snoopy doll was MY FAVORITE!

and memory number two….

Andy Williams's Christmas album will forever be the hub of my childhood Christmases.
Bri and I used to beg and beg my dad to go and get the Christmas tree. Once it was home, my mom would put on the Andy Williams record (a REAL record...not a tape or CD), and Dad would retract to whereever it was Dad went when it was tree decorating time. Mom would spend hours upon hours meticulously wrapping each branch of the tree from tip to trunk in wonderfully bright, twinkiling white lights. Bri and I, as children, really felt like it was the Most Wonderful Time of the Year as Williams crooned, as we danced around the tree and Mom. We would always pretend to hang the "peppermint stick for old Saint Nick" on the Christmas tree, and never forgot to "hang up our sock...cause just exactly at 12 o'clock...he'd be coming down the chimney down!" I am quite sure that my mom was a little annoyed that the two of us danced and carried on, while she labored on the tree...but truly, those memories are some of the best from my childhood.
We had certain ornaments hand stitched by my mom, that had to be hung in a particular order. Each time we'd pull out something new from the Christmas trunk, we'd exclaim, "I LOVE this one" and fight who got to put the ornament on the tree. Decorating the tree took all afternoon, and about 12 rounds of the record playing our beloved Andy Williams. After the tree was finished, and mom was kaput, Bri and I would turn out all of the light except for the tree, and lie underneath the tree and dream of the holiday to come. With hands on our chins, and our hearts and hopes high...we would welcome the Christmas season into our home.
Every year, as tradition states in our new and growing homes, Bri and I play the Andy Williams CD (we Butler girls are moving on up now!), and still dance the same antics we once did as little girls. Even though we won't be spending Christmas together this year, I will play the songs and be transported right back to the place where things were perfect, special, and almost magical. Merry 12 Days of Christmas!

scan0034

scan0041

my regular shennanigans

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is much cooler with the pictures!